(Published on 01.03.2022, updated on 14.02.2023) The attacks by the Russian military on Ukraine leave us deeply dismayed. Our thoughts are with the Ukrainian people who are currently enduring tremendous sufferings.
As a large network of research institutions in Germany, NFDI is collecting links, contact addresses and services that can help affected scientists from Ukraine. We hope that we can show our solidarity in this way.
- Bundesministerium des Innern für Heimat (Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community): Frequently asked questions about entering Germany from Ukraine and residing in Germany/ Запитання та відповіді щодо порядку в’їзду з України до Німеччини та перебування на території ФРН BMI – Homepage – Fragen und Antworten zur Einreise aus der Ukraine (bund.de)
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany / Посольство Федеративної Республіки Німеччина Київ: Frequently Asked Questions – Citizens of Ukraine and Third-Country Nationals Permanently Residing in Ukraine. Найчастіші запитання – Громадяни України й громадяни третіх країн, які постійно проживають в Україні. https://kiew.diplo.de/ua-uk/aktuelles/-/2513880
- Technische Universität Dresden (TUD): First points of contact for people seeking and giving help. The list is constantly updated and expanded. На цій сторінці наведено детальну інформацію про перші контакти для тих, хто потребує допомоги, і тих, хто пропонує допомогу.
Українська: ІНФОРМАЦІЯ ДЛЯ ОСІБ, ЯКІ ПРИБУВАЮТЬ З УКРАЇНИ — TU Dresden — TU Dresden (tu-dresden.de)
English: Arriving from Ukraine — TU Dresden — TU Dresden (tu-dresden.de)
- Unterkunft Ukraine (Accomodation Ukraine): For people who look for an accomodation. Ви виїхали з України і шукаєте притулку в приватних осіб? https://unterkunft-ukraine.de/
- Health Insurance For Refugees In Germany: Information on what you need to know about health insurance as a Ukrainian refugee in Germany. Student Health Insurance for Studying in Germany Guide (studying-in-germany.org) or Healthcare for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Germany – VisaGuide.World
Connecting (scholarships, jobs, etc. for scientists)
- CARA: Cara is ready to help academics from any country in the world, on any continent, who are being forced to flee by the risk of imminent imprisonment, injury or death, and works with them to find them temporary refuge in universities and research institutions until they can one day return home to help re-build better, safer societies. https://www.cara.ngo/what-we-do/a-lifeline-to-academics-at-risk/ukraine-crisis/
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) – Information for refugee Scientists and Academics: https://www.dfg.de/en/research_funding/announcements_proposals/2020/info_wissenschaft_20_04/index.html
- erudera: List of Universities in Germany Helping Ukrainian Students — Erudera
- Scholars at Risk: Scholars at Risk protects scholars suffering grave threats to their lives, liberty and well-being by arranging temporary research and teaching positions at institutions in our network as well as by providing advisory and referral services. https://www.scholarsatrisk.org/actions/host-a-scholar/
- Science for Ukraine: International collection of information about practical support provided by universities and research organization for Ukrainian researchers and students. Science for Ukraine
- Twitter profile Sci_for_Ukraine: International collection of information about practical support provided by universities and research organization for Ukrainian researchers and students on twitter. Science for Ukraine 🇺🇦 (@Sci_for_Ukraine) / Twitter
Fellowships and jobs/individual institutions
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, IT Center, High Performance and Cloud Computing Group: They have multiple job vacancies in research data management (GHGA, DataPLANT, BioDATEN), HPC and cloud operations (bwHPC, Machine Learning Science Cloud Tübingen, de.NBI Cloud Tübingen). If you have a background in IT, bioinformatics or somehow related, please get in touch. We offer help with formalities, visa, contract or housing as far as we can. https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/75374
- European Chemical Society: EuChemS has set up a LinkedIn group »Chemists for Ukraine« to share job vacancies, educational opportunities, or any other initiatives that can help and support students and researchers working in the chemical sciences from Ukraine. https://www.linkedin.com/groups/9166311/.
- Hamburg University of Technology, Institute of Technical Biocatalysis: You are a Ukrainian PhD Student or PostDoc from the working area of Biocatalysis / Biochemical Engineering / Inline Analytics NMR or FTIR / Dissemination in STEM and you would like to continue your research in Germany? Please send a message to biocatalysis[at]tuhh.de. Position for Ukrainian researcher in need | Institute of Technical Biocatalysis (tuhh.de)
Helmholtz initiative for refugees: Federal funding and contacts at Helmholtz Centres. Support services for refugees – Helmholtz – Association of German Research Centres
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT, Karlsruhe Institute for Technology): Information for threatened researchers: KIT-INTL – Researchers – Hosting & Research Mobility – Support for Threatened Researchers
The Leibniz-Institut für Europäische Geschichte (IEG) in Mainz offers short-term scholarships to PhD students or postdocs from Ukraine working in the field of modern European history and religious history of the modern era. Funding is provided for research stays of two to six months in Mainz. IEG_Stipendium_Ukraine_2022.pdf (ieg-mainz.de)
- List with labs from all over the world supporting Ukrainian scientist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jGFCqP2kj1ZAN6xy6EoRN1bozaggk9VEsbzYaIkkYcQ/edit#gid=0
- The Max Planck Society offers support for Ukrainian scientists via its research fellowship and stipend program, see de for the general announcement. Several Max Planck Institutes are already listed at the international “Labs supporting Ukrainian scientists” list. There you can also find contact data for these institutes.
- NFDI4Culture: Freedom, peace and dialogue are elementary prerequisites for science, art and culture worldwide. The unrestricted solidarity of NFDI4Culture goes to all people in #Ukraine. With the help of our consortial network we support researchers and artists at risk and mediate to #ScienceForUkraine. Contact Twitter DM and firstname.lastname@example.org. Full Statement: https://nfdi4culture.de/de/aktuelles/nachrichten/statement-of-solidarity-with-ukraine-its-citizens-artists-and-academics.html
- NFDIjobs: Here you can find our job offerings – many jobs are also open for people who speak English: de/jobs
- Philipp Schwartz Initiative: The Philipp Schwartz Initiative enables universities and research institutions in Germany to host researchers at risk on the basis of a full fellowship. https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/en/apply/sponsorship-programmes/philipp-schwartz-initiative
- Ruhr Universität Bochum: RUB is compiling a list with support offers from RUB for people affected by the war in Ukraine. https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/en/offers-assistance-students-and-researchers
- RWTH Aachen, Chair of Bioinorganic Chemistry: We offer help and support to Ukrainian Chemists and their families! Come to Aachen! We can host in our labs molecular inorganic and organic chemists as well as theoretical chemists, chemical engineers but also programmers and molecular physicists. Offer for students, PhD students (for example for internships), PostDocs, (offer comprises help with housing and also real jobs) https://www.bioac.ac.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/tqdls?#aaaaaaaaaatqdiq
- Technische Universität Dresden (TUD): overview of support services for students and academics from Ukraine. The list is constantly updated and extended and includes offers from the TU Dresden as well as other scientific organizations.Help and support programs — TU Dresden — TU Dresden (tu-dresden.de)
- UNIL-EPFL University of Lausanne (UNIL) and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) – Digital Humanities Center: EPFL’s College of Humanities has announced a program offering temporary placements for Ukrainian researchers working in digital humanities and social sciences fields. https://dhcenter-unil-epfl.ch/en/2022/03/03/epfl-college-of-humanities-offers-temporary-placements-for-ukrainian-researchers
Further offers/offers regarding cultural heritage, etc.
- Saving Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Online (SUCHO): A group of cultural heritage professionals – librarians, archivists, researchers, programmers – working together to identify and archive at-risk sites, digital content, and data in Ukrainian cultural heritage institutions while the country is under attack. https://www.sucho.org
The list will be updated and expanded regularly. Of course, you are welcome to share it. NFDI is not responsible for the content on the linked pages.
In order to make the NFDI more tangible for external visitors, the office has collected examples of the consortia's work - success stories - over the past few months. You can now view the first instalment of these success stories here. From digital twins for...
The section Industry Engagement has elected its industrial advisory board. Twelve business representatives from various economic sectors will be available to advise the section in future.
The Love Data Week will take place from February 12 to 16, 2024 under the motto “My Kind of Data”. Numerous national and international organizations are offering exciting events in various formats such as coffee lectures, training courses, podcasts and information events online and in person. NFDI is also taking part again!